This is my one-and-only recipe for tomato sauce, that I came across in some long since vanished food-and-drink magazine, in an article on Italian vegetable dishes penned by none other than the great Antonio Carluccio himself.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 big cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 big handfuls fresh basil leaves
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly ground sea-salt
- Gently heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a pan.
- Sauté the onion until soft
- Add the garlic, continue to sauté until the garlic is just coloured
- Add the tomatoes, bring up to a simmer
- Tear up the basil leaves, add to the pan
- Season lightly
- Simmer until the sauce has reduced down to a nice consistency