Sometimes you look at the ingredients you have in, weigh up the pros and cons of various combinations, um and ah for a bit, argue with yourself, um and ah a bit more, sulk, storm off to the shop, buy a lemon, stomp home, prepare your selected wares, throw them into a bowl, and hope for the best.
Sometimes it even works.
This is one such occasion.
- 100g smoked salmon
- 150g cooked and peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen
- about 2 tbsp capers
- about 10 or so pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 4 smoked garlic cloves, minced
- about 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- about 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ a red onion, finely chopped
- 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- salad leaves, to serve
- the merest twist of salt
- a good shot of black pepper
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the salmon and the salad leaves. Mix well. Place the bowl in the fridge for about 15 minutes or so, to allow time for the flavours to mix and develop, and the lemon juice to take the harsh edge off the garlic.
- Place the salad leaves in your serving bowl.
- Arrange the smoked salmon artistically on top of the leaves.
- Spoon the prawn mixture on top of the salmon.