This is simply one of those dishes that no number of talented, dedicated food stylists could make pleasing to the eye – mess by name, mess by nature, if you will.
What it lacks in aesthetic qualities, however, it more than makes up for in the deliciousness stakes, and besides, it’s intended to be eaten for breakfast, a kick-starter for the daily routine, a time when few of us will be at our most observant, ready to dissect the visual properties of our food.
- 1 banana
- unsweetened almond milk as required
- about 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
- about 2 tbsp almond flour
- about a handful of frozen mixed red berries
- about a handful of fresh berries, strawberries or blueberries work well
- In a shallow bowl mash the banana in a little almond milk until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, and dessicated coconut. Add more almond milk as required, so that the mixture is not too thick. Set aside for a few minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Wash / prepare the fresh berries as required.
- Microwave the frozen berry mixture until defrosted, and then continue in short 30 second or so bursts until the berries are starting to cook down into a sauce. You might have to encourage the saucification process with a sound thrashing administered with the aid of a fork.
- Microwave the banana mixture for about a minute or so until warm, but not overly hot.
- Scatter over the fresh berries.
- Drizzle over the berry sauce. Serve while still warm, contemplating the contradiction or paradox presented by the dish’s less than pleasant appearance, and its divine taste.
- Congratulations. You are now super-charged, and ready for anything the day can throw at you. Follow up a dish of banana berry breakfast mess with a couple of rashers of bacon and a poached egg, and you will be fit to pronounce yourself King of the World.
- Follow up your bacon and egg with a grapefruit, and you will be ready to anoint yourself as Lord Protector and High Overseer of the Known Universe.