Another recipe that has been on the “Must Do” list ever since I bought chef Daniel Green’s excellent book “The Paleo Diet – Food Your Body Is Designed To Eat”.
This is a ridiculously quick dessert to prepare. The only hard part is the waiting for it to chill sufficiently in the freezer.
Legend has it that this dessert is responsible for a secret, 11th commandment – “Thou shalt eat more than 1 bowlful”.
Coconut And Almond Ice Cream
- 100g almonds
- 480ml light coconut milk
- 3 tbsp honey
- Fresh blueberries and a little extra coconut milk, to garnish
- The almonds need to be fairly finely chopped – the texture the recipe calls for is “rough crumbs”. I was able to skip this part as I used pre-chopped almonds. Braying the nuts in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin or the back of the blade of your Chinese cleaver (and you do have a Chinese cleaver, don’t you…?) , or carefully (you don’t want to end up with almond butter!) whizzing them for a short while in a processor should see you right if you can’t score for pre-chopped almonds.
- If you’re using raw honey, you’re going to have to melt it over a low heat.
- Combine the almonds, honey, and coconut milk in a bowl, and whack it in the freezer. You’re done. Now, you wait….depending on your freezer it’s going to take anything from 2 hours onwards for the mixture to freeze sufficiently. Even if not fully frozen, you can still dish the mixture up, it’s just that you’ll have more of a mousse-like consistency, rather than an ice-cream.
- When frozen, scrape servings out of the bowl into your serving bowls. Scatter over a few fresh blueberries, and a drizzle of coconut milk. Enjoy, while shaking your head in disbelief that so little effort could produce so great a result…
Don’t expect a soft-scoop like result here – you’re going to end up with something more akin to Granita. Fret not, you’ll be too busy making “oooooooooh” and “yummmmmm” noises to care.