“Aaaah, that was splendid, and no mistake, even if I do say so myself”, said I, ignoring all those social norms and rules about self-congratulation.
“Indeed, indeed, I too am most satisfied with your efforts ce soir”, replied Mrs. Paleovirtus, kindly overlooking my big-headedness.
“Meh”, chipped in Paleovirtus Jr, watching a YouTube video on her phone, probably featuring One Direction or whatever they are called, and possibly featuring kittens, too.
“I must blog about this triumph post-haste!” I declared. “Send me the pictures at your earliest possible convenience, darlings mine!”
“What pictures…?”, they replied in unison…
I shall therefore have to ask you, oh Paleo Pals, to make a leap of faith and trust me when I say that the dish I am about to describe was as visually appealing as it was delicious…
Steamed salmon with prawn and vegetable stir fry
- 4 × 140g salmon fillets
- 1 large lemon
- 200g cooked prawns, defrosted if frozen
- a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- approx. 6 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions (scallions), whites and greens separated, and both finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and sliced into little-finger wide strips
- 10 green asparagus spears
- a good handful of broccoli florets
- 1 stalk of celery, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 5 spice powder
- coconut oil
- sesame seed oil
- fish sauce
- Slice the lemon thinly. Use the lemon slices to line the bottom of a steamer basket. This should prevent the salmon from sticking, as well as giving it a nice hint of lemon.
- Place your salmon fillets on the lemon slices in the steamer basket, and steam until cooked through – about 10 minutes or so.
- Steam the asparagus until just tender, about 6 mins. or so. Refresh, and drain. Cut into thirds. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli until just tender, about 5 mins. or so. Refresh, and drain. Set aside.
- Heat the wok over medium high heat. Heat up 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add the garlic and ginger, and 1 tsp five spice powder. Stir fry for a few seconds, then add the spring onion whites, celery, and green pepper. Stir fry until cooked but still crisp, about 3 minutes or so.
- Add the cooked prawns, broccoli, and asparagus. Stir fry until warmed through, about 1 minute or so. Add a splash of fish sauce, stir well for a few seconds at most, then remove the wok from the heat.
- Serve with the salmon, dressed with a drizzle of sesame seed oil and the spring onion greens.