As part of my fitness regime, I usually go on 2 bike rides every day.
The first is an early morning run, on week days starting around 5 am, a 12 km. loop around town. By starting out so early not only do I miss out on a great deal of traffic on the city’s cycle paths, I also get to see the city waking up.
I think a city really only tells you who it is before 7 am – thereafter the mask and the make-up goes on, and the city’s real face is hidden behind a façade.
At the weekend, however, my timetable is a bit more forgiving, and so I set off slightly later, and ride further, but at a more genteel pace.
Whereas on a weekday I would snatch a bowl of fruit on my return, come Saturday I like to spend just a little more time, and put together a more substantial plate.
This is one of my favourites, for when I want a little more than plain old bacon.
After a long autumnal bike ride, this really hits the spot, and what’s more it’s ready in under 5 minutes from when you walk in the door…
Prosciutto, smoked salmon, and poached eggs
- 3 slices Prosciutto Crudo
- 3 slices cold smoked salmon
- 2 medium eggs
- plenty of black pepper
- Arrange the prosciutto and the smoked salmon slices on your breakfast plate.
- Poach your eggs – I use the super fast microwave method, they’re ready in around 90 seconds. Place on the plate.
- Dose liberally with black pepper. Serve, with a nice mug of green tea.