This was one of those spur of the moment experiments, prompted by the fact that as much as we love cauliflower in this family, we were getting a bit too familiar with it riced, steamed, or mashed.
I simply tossed it in some flavoured oil, and stuck it in a hot oven. Turned out really well, actually…
Masala Roast Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken down into florets
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp garam masala
- Lemon segments
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix the oil and the spices thoroughly.
- Place the cauliflower florets and flavoured oil in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly, ensuring that all the nooks and crannies of the cauliflower are well coated by the spiced oil.
- Place the oiled cauliflower in a lightly greased baking tray. Place the baking tray in the hot oven, and bake until golden and tender, about 45 minutes or so – see Notes.
- Serve, with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
We like our cauliflower to retain a bit of a crunch, so if you like yours a tad more tender, you might want to experiment with baking it for longer in a slightly cooler oven, or par-boiling / blanching it first.