This delicately flavoured, highly aromatic, golden cauliflower rice is the perfect Paleo accompaniment to any Indian dish…
Paleo Pilau Cauliflower Rice
- 500g cauliflower rice – see Notes
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ½g saffron
- 2 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix the saffron with 4 tbsp of hot water. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a non-stick wok over medium heat. Add the onions to the wok. Stir fry until the onions start to soften, about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom seeds to the wok. Stir fry for 2 minutes, to infuse the hot oil with the flavour of the spices.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the wok. Stir well, to coat the cauliflower rice with the hot oil and spices.
- Add the hot water with the saffron to the wok. Stir well, to coat the cauliflower rice evenly with the saffron water. Cover with the wok’s lid. Let the cauliflower rice steam under the lid for 6 minutes, stirring three times during the process, topping up with a little water if it looks as though the cauliflower rice is in danger of completely drying out and sticking or burning.
- Remove the wok from the heat. Serve.
Although you can of course grate the required amount of cauliflower rice yourself, here I use 2 × 250g of Swedish supermarket chain ICA’s own pre-grated cauliflower rice.