This dish is a great winter warmer – hearty, spicy, and meaty, and with a certain smokiness from the grilled aubergine and Spanish paprika, so that you could almost imagine yourself eating it around a desert camp-fire.
It needs nothing more than a simple side dish of steamed cauliflower, and a lovely big pot of mint tea.
Moroccan Lamb and Aubergine Stew
- 1kg minced lamb
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp sambal oelek – see Notes
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- a handful fresh coriander
- 1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- ½g saffron
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 500g tetra-pack chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- Remove the minced lamb from the fridge, in order to allow it to come up to room temperature.
- Slice the aubergines into disks about as thick as the tip of your little finger. Heat up a grill pan over medium high heat. Brush the aubergines with a little olive oil, and then grill until golden brown and tender, turning once. Set aside.
- Place the smoked Spanish paprika, saffron, cinnamon, cumin, ground ginger, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and salt and pepper to taste into a small bowl. Add enough water to create a very thin paste. Set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic, sambal oelek and fresh coriander (cilantro) in a blender. Blitz / whizz down into a paste.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the onion-based mixture, and stir fry for about 3 minutes or so.
- Add the minced lamb. Stir well, and continue to stir fry until the lamb has lost its raw, pink colour, about 10 minutes or so.
- Add the water / spice paste, and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes or thereabouts, stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir well, and bring up to a low simmer. Cook until the sauce has reduced, and the lamb is thoroughly cooked, about 25 minutes or so.
- Add the aubergine slices to the pan. Stir well, and allow to simmer for a few minutes, until the aubergines have warmed through.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Serve.