Chicken and spinach is a classic combination in Indian cuisine.
This is our Paleo friendly version of this superb curry.
If you’re after a winter warmer that’s also good value for money as well as quick and easy to prepare, then look no further.
While you’re preparing the ginger for the sauce, why not peel and slice a little extra, and cook up a batch of tea-water for a nice pot of Chai Masala?
Murgh Saagwala - Chicken and Spinach Curry
- 1kg chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 400g frozen spinach leaf
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 Jalapeno chilli, roughly chopped
- a 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- a 400 ml tetra-pack of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml full fat coconut milk
- 3 heaped tsp dried Fenugreek leaves
- 3 heaped tsp dried Coriander leaves
- 2 tsp, turmeric
- 4 tsp, Garam Masala
- 1 tsp, ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp, ground cloves
- 1 tsp, ground cardamom
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- De-frost / cook the spinach. I usually blast it in batches in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring at the half-way point. Set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, and chopped tomatoes in a blender. Process until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Garam Masala, dried Fenugreek leaves, dried Coriander leaves, turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. Season with a little sea salt, and a good old belt of freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Place the sauce in a pan. Add the coconut milk. Stir well, and bring up to a low simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan. Stir well, return to a low simmer, and continue to cook until the chicken is done – it should be white in the middle – about 15 minutes or so.
- Add the spinach to the pan. Stir well, and simmer until heated through – a couple of minutes at most.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Serve the curry with pilau cauliflower rice.
- The Sunday Showcase
- Sew Darn Crafty
- Nifty Thrifty Sunday
- See Ya In Gumbo
- Happiness Is Homemade
- Melt In Your Mouth Monday
- A Round Tuit
- Mad Skills Party
- Mix It Up Monday
- Craftastic Monday
- Much Ado About Monday
- Block Party
- What’d You Do This Weekend