I’ve had my eye on this one for some time now.
It’s a dish we used to eat quite regularly once upon a time – partly cooked spaghetti, finished off in olive oil infused with the flavours of garlic, chilli flakes, and parsley. It’s ridiculously simple, not to mention quick, to prep and cook – if you get your act together, you can easily go from fridge / cupboards to the dining room table in under a quarter of an hour.
Although we don’t “do” ordinary pasta any more, we still were curious to see if this was yet another dish where zucchini / courgette spaghetti could act as a drop-in replacement for the, cough, “other” stuff.
Well, I can happily report that yes, it is! It worked fantastically well, even if I say so myself.
Heat control is the secret to success here, mes amis. You’re almost simmering the ingredients in the oil here, rather than frying them. “Low” and “gentle” should be your watchwords. You’re aiming to soften the garlic and shallots, and take the raw edge off them, nothing more.
The amount of chilli flakes I’ve used here kind of bumps this into the same bracket oomph-wise as an Arrabbiata sauce. If you’re less keen on the hot stuff, it might be prudent to scale back the amount of chilli flakes you use.
Zucchini Spaghetti With Garlic, Chilli, and Parsley
- 2 medium zucchini / courgettes
- 4 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 banana shallots, very finely chopped
- a bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp hot chilli flakes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Top, tail, and peel the zucchini / courgettes. Create the zucchini / courgette spaghetti with the aid of a spiralizer. Set aside.
- Heat up a large, deep sided sauté pan over medium low heat. Add the olive oil and the chilli flakes. Let the chilli flakes gently cook in the hot oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the shallots and the garlic. Cook gently for about 5 minutes or so, or until the shallots and garlic are soft, and have lost their raw flavour.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add the parsley, reserving some for the garnish. Stir well.
- Add the zucchini / courgette spaghetti. Stir well to coat the zucchini / courgette spaghetti with the oil, herbs, and vegetables. Continue to cook until the zucchini / courgette spaghetti has softened somewhat, about 3 minutes or so.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Serve, garnished with a little more chopped parsley.