I love dishes like this, ones where you can spread the prep over several lazy hours, breaking the whole down into more time-manageable chunks, leaving you shortish free periods available to have a cup of tea whilst contemplating the graceful curve of the Öresund Bridge, practice your photography skills, or chase the cat around with a Jester’s hat on (long story).
Come the appointed time, it’s then just a simple question of assemble, and throw in a hot oven.
Less than an hour later it’s on the table being adored, shortly before being devoured.
Sausage and Aubergine Bake
- 350g Paleo-friendly lamb sausages
- 350g Paleo-friendly pork sausages
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium aubergines, thinly sliced
- 2 550g tetra-packs, chopped tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- almond flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° C.
- Fry the sausages until golden brown. Allow to cool, then slice into thick rounds. Set aside.
- Brush the aubergine slices with a little olive oil, and grill on a grill-pan until they are soft, and have taken on those wonderfully characteristic charred marks. Set aside.
- Make the tomato sauce. Heat 4 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick lidded saucepan. Add the carrot and celery, and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the onion, and stir fry for a further 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chopped tomatoes, and stir well. Roughly tear the basil leaves, and add to the pan. Stir well, and bring up to a low simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes or so. Allow to cool, and set aside. Mix the sliced sausages into the sauce.
- Grease a large, deep, rectangular oven-proof dish with olive oil. Line the bottom and sides of the dish with aubergine slices. Spoon the tomato sauce and sausage mixture into the dish. Place a top layer of aubergine slices onto the sausage and tomato sauce layer.
- Give the top aubergine layer a liberal but even coating of almond flour. Drizzle over a good quantity of olive oil. Place the dish in the middle of the oven until the top has turned a pleasant, golden colour, and crisped up somewhat, about 40 minutes or so with our oven, but keep a close eye on it after the 20 minute mark.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Allow to cool a little, then serve.