Sometimes, when you’re cooking for a family, there are no “one size fits all” options.
The head might not necessarily want to cook 2 separate meals, but the stomach has other plans.
Last night was such an occasion. Mrs. Paleovirtus and Paleovirtus Jr. were both in the mood for a slab of entrecôte. I, however, was not.
My taste buds and subconscious mind had obviously been having a little conspiratorial chat at some point, because I had this weird, nagging craving for shellfish and eggs.
When I got back from the supermarket, I had several “did I really buy that?!” moments when I unpacked.
The Romaine lettuce made sense, but bacon? Chives?
Clearly dark, subliminal forces were at work. Perhaps I’d been temporarily possessed by the earth-bound spirit of a recently departed cook.
A more likely explanation was that I had been mightily distracted by being in an enclosed space with several hundred seemingly terminally stressed people pinging around like over-wound clockwork robots.
Still, all things considered, a result. Turned out nice again….
Prawn and Shredded Omelette Salad
- 200g cooked prawns (shrimp)
- 140g cubed smoked bacon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 or 6 large romaine salad leaves
- fresh lemon juice
- sesame seed oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ a bunch of chives, finely chopped
- hot chilli flakes
- 5 spice powder
- olive oil
- Add a pinch of 5 spice powder to the beaten eggs. Mix well. Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a small non-stick frying pan. Add the beaten egg mixture, and cook as you would for an omelette. When the eggs are cooked, remove from the pan. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, roll up the omelette into a cigar like shape. Slice thinly, then set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the smoked bacon cubes, and fry until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove from the pan when done, and set aside.
- Shake the salad leaves, and then gently squeeze them to remove as much rinse water as possible. As you did with the omelette, roll the salad leaves into a cylindrical shape. Shred the salad leaves in a similar way to the omelette. Set aside.
- Place the cooked prawns in a large mixing bowl. Add the bacon and the shredded omelette. Mix well.
- Add the shredded salad leaves and the chopped chives. Season with black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Just before serving, dress the salad with lemon juice and sesame seed oil to taste. Garnish with a scattering of hot chilli flakes. Serve.