We were having Serbian Meat Loaf for Sunday Dinner, and, as per usual, planned to have sauerkraut with it.
“Do something with the sauerkraut,” said Mrs. Paleovirtus, “liven it up a bit!”.
Oh. Right you are. I’ll see what I can do.
Hmmm. Let’s try balancing the “sauer” bit with some “sweet“, and adding a splash of “crunch” to work against the softish texture of the “kraut“.
Dates. Dates and chopped nuts. Hazelnuts. Hmmmm….
Sauerkraut With Hazelnuts And Dates
- 800g sauerkraut
- 150g finely chopped hazelnuts
- 15 dates, de-pitted and chopped
- coconut oil
- Heat 4 tbsp of coconut oil in a large, lidded non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts, and stir fry until the nuts start to take on a little colour, 3 minutes or so.
- Add the chopped dates, and continue to stir fry for a further 3 minutes or so.
- Add the sauerkraut, plus about 200 ml of water. Stir well, and return to a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Serve.