Samuel Johnson once remarked that “…when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life..”
Not entirely in agreement with you there, Sam me owd mate.
Actually, I firmly believe that alarm bells should start ringing about one’s Joie de vivre when a person starts to go off cashews.
And so it was the other day, when to my complete and utter horror, I found myself contemplating the fact that these blessed wee nuts were starting to taste a bit samey.
Ding-a-ling! Sound the klaxon. Red alert! Splice the mainbrace! Something needs to be done! Pronto, like!
When I’d calmed down a bit, I realised that I had an oven, coconut oil, and a well stocked spice cupboard. Panic over.
Less than an hour later I was munching on these beauties.
Aah. That’s better.
Masala Roast Cashews
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp chaat masala
- sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- Combine the cashews, coconut oil, and chaat masala in a mixing bowl.
- Place the nuts on a sheet of baking parchment in a roasting dish. Place the roasting dish in the hot oven.
- Roast the nuts for about 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Keep a close eye on them after the 20 minute mark, in any case.
- When the nuts are done to your satisfaction, remove them from the oven, and drain them on plenty of kitchen paper.
- Place in a bowl, and give a good twist of sea salt.
- Allow to cool. Serve.
Although here I’ve opted for chaat masala, you could just as easily use a similar amount of any ground spice or spice blend.