This started off as a way to use up the remains of our Easter Sunday roast lamb.
The problem was, the lamb on its own wouldn’t be enough to build a meal around.
A tricky little conundrum, and no mistake.
Then Mrs. Paleovirtus came up with the idea of adding chorizo. Our local eco-supermarket sell a rather splendid sausage that contains pig and spices, which, of course, is just as it should be.
I felt that although the final dish would be tasty enough, it still needed a little extra in the mix, somehow.
Mushrooms! Mushrooms would bring their own earthy flavour, as well as soaking up all those meaty flavours, too, delicious little sponges that they are.
I always like to make tomato based sauces when using chorizo. Seeing as the sausage itself is wonderfully spicy to start with, I keep things simple, and just add plenty of onions and garlic.
We ate the dish with plenty of steamed broccoli. Turned out well for a “wing it” job.
Lamb, Chorizo, And Mushroom
- 250g leftover lamb roast
- 250g Paleo friendly chorizo
- 250g closed cap mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g chopped tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the casing from the chorizo, then cut the sausage into chunks about the size of a fingernail. Set aside.
- Cut the lamb into similar sized chunks as the chorizo. Set aside.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean, trim the stalks, then halve them. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large, non-stick, lidded pan over medium heat. Fry the chorizo until it has taken on a good colour, and rendered its fat into the pan, about 5 minutes or so. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving the rendered fat behind in the pan. Set the sausage chunks aside.
- Add the onion to the pan, and stir fry until soft, about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms, and continue to stir fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Return to a low simmer, and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Return the chorizo to the pan, together with the chopped lamb. Stir well, and return to a low simmer. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Serve.