Ham, avocado, and anchovy salad
I’ll have to be brief here, because as Björn and Benny so eloquently put it – “Day is dawning, and I must go…”
Soon I’ll be packing my case, and setting off on the long walk to the station, to catch a fast train, bound for London, the airport, and ultimately, the Home Kitchen.
Tuna and avocado pâté
In “The Return Of The Jedi” there’s that classic moment when Darth Vader is watching the emperor fry Luke with 250 million volts of force lightning, and his gaze goes back and forth between the two of them, before he makes a life changing decision.
Son. Dark Sith Overlord.
Similarly, I looked at the 2 main ingredients for this spread for what seemed like an age, before coming to the conclusion that I had no other choice.
Bacon wrapped avocado wedges
I’d seen variations on this particular theme floating around the Paleoverse for quite a while, and wanted to see what they were like.
Then, as luck would have it, I just happened to have a packet of bacon and an avocado in and up for grabs. How fortuitous!
Okidoki, my porcine and fruity friends, let’s do this thing…
Pancetta, avocado, and egg salad
In Stanley Ellin’s brilliant short story “The Speciality of the House”, one of the characters, Laffler, is trying to describe his favourite dish, Lamb Amirstan, to his friend Costain…
Laffler remained lost in thought for a minute. ‘If,’ he said at last, ‘I were to give you in my own unstinted words my opinion of this dish, you would judge me completely insane. That is how deeply the mere thought of it affects me.’
I know exactly what Mr. Laffler means. Some dishes just do that to people.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
I stumbled across this recipe for a quick and easy chocolate avocado pudding in this video, made by Evita Ochel of Healthytarian.com…
It was one of those recipes that seemed almost too good to be true. However, I am more than pleased to report that it lived up to all of our expectations!
Cold smoked salmon with avocado and egg
This starter is based on a recipe in chef Daniel Green‘s excellent book “The Paleo Diet – Food Your Body Is Designed To Eat”.
Once the eggs are prepared, which you can obviously do well in advance, the dish can be finished off and served in a matter of a few minutes, making it a near perfect starter.
That and the fact that it is utterly delicious, of course.
- 200g cold smoked salmon
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, plus extra for garnishing
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Lemon wedges
- Start off by hard boiling your eggs – I boiled mine, which were medium sized, for 12 minutes. Allow to cool, the peel and chop. Set aside in a bowl in the fridge.
- Peel and chop the avocado. Add to the eggs.
- Add the dill, Dijon mustard, olive oil, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Divide the smoked salmon between 3 plates. Spoon the egg and avocado mixture on top of the salmon. Garnish with a little extra dill, and lemon wedges. Serve and enjoy, taking a well earned breather before you’re back on your feet getting the main course ready.