At its heart, this soup has the fragrant stock used for poaching the Indian Poached Fish dish I recently posted.
Don’t be put off from making this soup if you don’t have any leftover stock from that dish. Fragrant stock is ridiculously easy to make from scratch, just a few selected herbs and spices gently simmered in water. Just strain it before using it in this recipe, and you’ll be good to go.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can put it together with any vegetable combination your heart desires. I used carrot and broccoli because i) they work really well together, and ii) I had a load of carrots that needed using up.
Indian Carrot and Broccoli Soup
- 500ml stock – see Notes
- 2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls, frozen broccoli florets
- coconut oil
- fresh chives
- Heat about 2 tbsp of coconut oil over medium heat in a medium sized saucepan. Stir fry the chilli and ginger for about 2 minutes.
- Add the spring onions (scallions), and continue to stir fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and stir fry for a final 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, carrots, and broccoli. Bring up to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes or so.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Process the stock and vegetables with a hand-held blender, until you obtain a smooth soup.
- Return the pan to the heat. Cook the soup for 10 minutes on a low simmer.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Serve the soup garnished with a twist of black pepper, and freshly cut chives.
Here I used the leftover poaching stock from my Indian Poached Fish, which was simply strained after use before being refrigerated. If you’re not making this soup on the back of cooking Indian Poached Fish, fret not, it’s dead simple to put together – see that recipe for details, although you will not have the added benefit of the taste from the poached fish in the stock itself.
- Lou Lou Girls
- Handmade Tuesdays
- Tutorial Tuesday
- Take A Look Tuesday
- Totally Talented Tuesdays
- Create Link Inspire
- One Project At A Time
- Two Cup Tuesday
- Treasure Box Tuesday
- Simple Supper Tuesday
- Time To Sparkle